Assign modules on offcanvas module position to make them visible in the sidebar.

Our school

 

historia uczelniThe history of The General Tadeusz Kościuszko Military Academy of Land Forces in Wrocław The origins of the General Tadeusz Kościuszko Military Academy of Land Forces (MALF) date back to the period of the First Republic of Poland, during which, in 1765, the Knights' School was founded in Warsaw. The Knights' School provided education to as many as 600 officers, including some later renowned leaders and heroes of the Polish nation: Jakub Jasiński, Józef Sowiński and Tadeusz Kościuszko. In the Duchy of Warsaw, the mission of educating officers for the Polish Armed Forces was carried out by the Corps of Cadets, and in the Kingdom of Poland by the School of Infantry Cadets.

In the years 1809-1831 the following schools were in existence: the Elementary School for Artillery and Engineering, the Application School for Artillery and Engineering, the School of Infantry Cadets and the School of Cavalry Cadets. These schools were the places, where the future heroes of national uprisings learnt to be officers. It was the cadets from the School of Infantry Cadets in Warsaw, led by 2nd Lt Piotr Wysocki, who initiated the November Uprising on 29 November 1830. In order to commemorate the outbreak of the uprising, 29 November is now Cadet's Day, which is celebrated every year. It is also the holiday of MALF.

In the years of foreign rule and in the period preceding the outbreak of WWI officers were educated in numerous Polish military schools in exile. After Poland regained its independence in 1918, the Armed Forces regained their national character, and the intensive development of military education ensued. The schools that were created at that time, including the School of Infantry Cadets in Ostrów-Komorów, the School of Cavalry Cadets in Grudziądz, and the School of Engineering Cadets in Warsaw, played a significant role in educating the army's leaders in the Second Republic of Poland. The graduates from those schools passed a hard examination in September 1939, and in the subsequent battles fought on the front lines of WWII. At that time, a crucial role was played by the land forces schools in Crawford (Great Britain), Latrum (Palestine), but also in Riazan (USSR), where, in June 1943, the Divisional School of Cadets was established, and which existed until 1945. More than 2,000 of its graduates fought among the soldiers of the 1st and 2nd Armies of the Polish Armed Forces and of the 1st Armoured Corps on the advance from Lenino to Berlin and the River Elbe. After the end of WWII, the school was relocated to Kraków for the following 2 years and operated under the name of the Officer School of Infantry and Cavalry. In Przemyśl in October 1944, the Officer School of Engineers was founded. In the late 1940s both schools were relocated to Wrocław.

In September 1962 the Officer School of Infantry was renamed the Tadeusz Kościuszko Mechanized Infantry Officer School.

Given the growing needs of the Armed Forces for highly qualified personnel, in 1967 all officer schools were granted the status of higher education schools. In the early 1990s, because of the reduction of military personnel, some of the schools were disbanded. In 1994 all the existing military schools were reorganized into three academies: the Tadeusz Kościuszko Military Academy in Wrocław (by amalgamating the Mechanized Infantry Military College with the Military Engineering College), the Stefan Czarniecki Military Academy in Poznań, and the Józef Bem Military Academy in Toruń.

Wroclaw’s military academy has been writing a new chapter in its history since 1 October 2002. On that day, by Regulation of the Council of Ministers of 18 December 2001, the Land Forces Military Academy headquartered in Wrocław (today's MALF) was established by incorporating the military colleges from Wrocław, Poznań and Toruń. In August 2003 MALF was named after General Tadeusz Kościuszko. 

 

Back to top